The Impact of Trauma on Young Students

The L.A. Times featured an article today about the Share and Care program.  A program supported by Cedar Sinai that brings Art Therapy into schools.  If your student’s education is being negatively impacted by trauma….consider whether or not they might benefit from Individual Education Plan (IEP) and if they might qualify for Educationally Related Intensive Counseling Services (ERICS).  This form of counseling is more intensive than the typical counseling offered in schools.  The first thing to do is request that your student be evaluated to see if he/she might qualify for Special Education Services.  Remember there are students who receive IEPs for social emotional and behavior issues as well.  IEPs are not limited to students with learning disabilities.

Students traumatized by loss and violence get a fighting chance to learn


The Addiction of Law

I was speaking with another Attorney this week about addiction and she brought up the addictive nature of the law.  She said that practicing law can be addictive….

Law addiction is something I’ve never considered.  In my experience, I’ve seen attorneys become addicted to money, power, substances and fighting but I never associated these addictions with a love for the law.

The detailed nature of practicing can be all consuming and so it is important for attorneys to constantly reevaluate and consider their motivations for how they run their practice to ensure that they are always working in the best interests of their clients and in accordance with the rules of ethics.

Supreme Court 2016

Immigration Reform is desperately needed especially in light of the Supreme Court’s decision which rendered President Obama’s Executive Order ineffective.

Yay for the Supreme Court’s decision on a Women’s Right to Choose.  Women need and deserve better access to healthcare and safe abortions.

Another Yay for the Supreme Court on its decision about affirmative action in higher education.  If the Black Lives Matter movement is any indicator, America has not moved into a post racial era.  Programs and Initiatives to further the aim of diversity, socio-cultural education and equity in our society are desperately needed.

Presentación Acerca de la Educación Especial


  1. Educación Pública Apropiada y Libre
  • Siempre sin costo alguno para los padres.
  • Cumple con las necesidades únicas individuales del estudiante en el ambiente menos restrictivo (LRE) para que los niños con necesidades especiales se integren en lo más posible con los niños de educación general.


  1. Evaluación Apropiada
  • Utiliza evaluadores bien informados y capacitados-también deben ser sensibles a las diferentes culturas.
  • Emplean una variedad de pruebas y procedimientos para obtener información sobre el estudiante.


  1. Programa de Educación Individualizada (IEP)
  • Un IEP es el programa de educación personalizada para un niño/a.
  • El equipo del IEP incluye padres y personal de la escuela, los cuales son pertinentes, juntos el equipo desarrollan un IEP que incluye:
  • Descripción del nivel actual de funcionamiento del estudiante.
  • Objetivos anuales.
  • Colocación.
  1. Padres y Estudiantes: La participación en la toma de decisiones
  • Los padres y los estudiantes tienen el derecho a una significativa participación en el proceso del IEP.
  • Los padres y los estudiantes tienen el derecho de tener todos los materiales presentados en una reunión de IEP y el material debe ser explicado de una manera en que ellos puedan entender.
  • Los padres y los estudiantes tienen el derecho a disponer de la información presentada en la reunión del IEP traducido a su lengua materna.


  1. Ambiente Menos Restrictivo (LRE)
  • IDEA (el Acta de Individuos con Discapacidades) quiere que los estudiantes con discapacidades puedan estar con sus compañeros no discapacitados, en las aulas de educación general, siempre que sea posible.
  • Las decisiones sobre el entorno más adecuado para cada estudiante se realizan por todo el equipo del IEP.


  1. Debido Proceso
  • Los distritos escolares deben obtener el consentimiento de los padres antes de evaluar a un estudiante para educación especial, o antes de sacar a un estudiante de educación especial.
  • Los distritos escolares deben notificar por escrito a los padres antes de iniciar, cambiar o negarse a cambiar la identificación, evaluación o colocación educativa de un estudiante con discapacidad.
  • Los distritos escolares deben proporcionar a los padres, a petición de los padres, con información sobre las evaluaciones educativas independientes. Los distritos escolares deben considerar cualquier evaluación educativa independiente presentada por uno de los padres a una reunión de IEP.

Se requiere el consentimiento de los padres antes de que un IEP pueda ser implementado.

  • Los padres tienen el derecho de presentar quejas de incumplimiento cuando los distritos escolares no proporcionan servicios y apoyos, según lo acordado en un IEP, o cualquier violación de IDEA.
  • Los padres tienen el derecho a un proceso legal formal, la audiencia de debido proceso, para resolver las disputas sobre la elegibilidad del IEP, apoyo, los servicios y la colocación.



  1. AbilityHub Assistive Technology Solutions

  • This is a website that indexes and describes assistive technology for people who find it difficult to operate a computer.
  • Esta página de web tiene información sobre tecnología para personas que no pueden usar un ordenador o computadora.


  1. Apps for Children with Special Needs

  • This site maintains a large list of educational applications for children with special needs.
  • Esta página de web mantiene una lista de programas para niños con necesidades educativas especiales.
  1. CAST (Center for Applied Special Technology) Learning Tools

  • This website provides free multimedia tools for students, teachers, and parents.
  • Esta página de web tiene herramientas de multimedia para estudiantes, maestros y padres.


More Resources/Mas recursos:

  1. Disability Rights California:
  2. Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF):
  3. California Statutes and Training:
  4. Recent case decisions (California):


Your Basic Special Ed Rights


Your Basic Special Education Rights

  1. Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)
  • Meets the individual unique needs of the students in the least restrictive environment (LRE). The goal of the least restrictive environment (LRE) is to integrate special needs children into the general education children’s pool as much as possible.


  1. Appropriate Evaluation
  • Use knowledgeable and trained evaluators
  • Employ an array of tests and procedures to obtain information about the student


  1. Individualized Education Program (IEP)
  • An IEP is an individualized education program for a particular child.
  • The IEP team includes parents, and relevant school personnel

-Together the team develops an IEP that includes:

  • Description of current level of functioning.
  • Yearly objectives.


  1. Parent and Student Participation in Decision-Making
  • Parents and students have the right to really participate in the meeting
  • Parents and students have the right to have all the materials presented at an IEP meeting explained to them
  • Parents and students have the right to have IEP information discussed at the meeting translated into their primary language.


  1. Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
  • IDEA (the Individuals with Disabilities Act) wants students with disabilities to be with their non-disabled peers, in general education classrooms, whenever possible.
  • Determinations about the most appropriate environment for a student are made by the IEP team.
  • Self-contained classrooms, separate schools, and/or homebound or hospital services continue to be available when the nature or severity of a student’s disability is such that a less restrictive placement cannot be achieved adequately, even with the assistance of special education services, modifications, and accommodations.


  1. Procedural Due Process
  • School districts must obtain parental consent before testing a student for special education, or before exiting a student from special education.
  • School districts must provide written notice to parents before initiating, changing, or refusing to change the identification, evaluation, or educational placement of a student.
  • School districts must provide parents, upon request by parents, with information about independent educational evaluations, including where they can be obtained. School districts must consider any independent educational evaluation presented by a parent at an IEP meeting.

Parental consent is required before an IEP can be implemented.

  • Parents have the right to file Compliance Complaints when school districts do not provide services and supports as agreed to in an IEP, or otherwise violate IDEA.
  • Parents have a right to a formal legal process, the Due Process Hearing, to resolve disputes about IEP eligibility, supports, and services or placement.




  1. AbilityHub Assistive Technology Solutions

  • This is a website indexes and describes assistive technology for people who find it difficult to operate a computer.


  1. Apps for Children with Special Needs

  • This site maintains a large list of educational applications for children with special needs.


  1. CAST (Center for Applied Special Technology) Learning Tools

  • This website provides free multimedia tools for students, teachers, and parents.


More Resources:

  1. Disability Rights California:
  2. Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF):
  3. California Statutes and Training:
  4. Recent case decisions (California):


Young Lawyers Committee Membership
Interested in creating events and programs of interest to young lawyers? Join the Young Lawyers Committee! Email Marie Maurice at


Tamiel S. Holloway recently relocated from New England and established her legal practice, Holloway Firm, in Southern California. Tamiel’s current areas of practice include Family Law, Immigration, Probate, and Special Education. Tamiel is licensed to practice law in California, Massachusetts and New Mexico.
Tamiel graduated from Boston University School of Law. As a law student, Tamiel participated in two Immigration Law Clinics where she assisted immigrant detainees, children seeking special immigrant juvenile status and asylum seekers. Tamiel also served as an intern for the Los Angeles Dependency Lawyers and clerked for the Honorable Judge Geraldine Hines. Judge Hines is now serving on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. After BU LAW, Tamiel worked at the talent agency William Morris Endeavor and upon receiving her license, worked as an immigration attorney and family law public defender.
She received her undergraduate degree in International Relations from University of Southern California (USC). While in undergrad, she studied abroad in Spain and served as a newspaper intern in Mexico. As a result of her global endeavors, she earned the USC Global Scholar distinction. She was also a recipient of the Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship and a four-year Scholarship Recipient of the Justice Unity Generosity and Service organization. She is a member and scholarship recipient of the honor society, Alpha Lambda Delta. When Tamiel graduated from USC, her name was added to the USC Wall of Scholars. After receiving a Bachelor of the Arts in International Relations, Tamiel returned to Spain to teach English to children and adults. As a result, she is fluent in Spanish.
Tamiel has learned that the best way to gain experience in an interest area is to jump into it. She implores other young attorneys to consider opening their own practices sooner rather than later in their careers. With supportive mentors, building a practice is an attainable goal.

Why it is important to decide on an Estate Plan….

When most people start family planning, they consider buying homes, picking the right schools and choosing a health insurance plan. An important but often overlooked consideration is estate planning.   An estate plan typically involves a will, trust and power of attorney.

If you are unsure of where to start, make a simple will.  A will can help you dispose of your assets as well as appoint caregivers for your children.  Be sure to include who you would like to become guardians of your children.  You don’t need to settle on one person or couple.  Some people are great with money but not very kid-friendly while some people are the entire package.  You can appoint one person responsible for the “person” or physical custody of your child and another to be responsible for your child’s financial needs or “estate.”

A trust is a more sophisticated way of dealing with assets that would go into a will. A trust can be for an individual or both spouses.  They can also be changed or revoked anytime during your lifetime. Trusts usually become irrevocable at death. Under a trust your property transfers to your chosen beneficiaries.  A fully funded trust enables you to dispose of your assets and provide for the well being of your children and other beneficiaries by avoiding the expense and time of the probate courts.  There are many types of specialized trusts, and an attorney can help you find the one that best fits your circumstances. For example, if you have a child who is disabled, you might consider setting up a special needs trust.

A power of attorney is also a useful tool that can make life easier for those who will take care of you in your later years. A power of attorney allows another person to make medical, financial and social decisions for you in the event you lose your ability to do so yourself.  Having one in place can help you avoid having to seek a conservatorship in the probate or mental health court, and can make the transition more efficient for your caretakers.

Thinking about how you want to care for your children or distribute your assets in the event of your death is something most people wait too long to consider. Starting on these tasks earlier in life ensures your wishes are met and that your children are not overburdened at an inevitably stressful time.

Finally, remember to keep the documents in your estate plan updated.  Try and update your plan every three years at the minimum because your family, assets, laws and goals may change.

For more information regarding Wills and Trust, please contact me at:

  • Call 213-272-1000
  • Email